Britain’s King Charles, in his first statement since being diagnosed with cancer, expresses his “heartfelt gratitude” for your support


London- Britain’s King Charles has issued his first statement since the public announcement of his cancer diagnosis.

In a statement issued Saturday by the British royal family, King Charles said he would like to “express my sincere thanks for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received in recent days.”

“As all those who have been affected by cancer will know, those kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement,” he added.

King Charles III leaves the London Clinic on January 29, 2024 in London, England.

Karwai Tang


Charles was diagnosed with cancer while receiving treatment for an enlarged prostate last month. Buckingham Palace said he would step away from public duties during his treatments, but has not said how long they will last.

CBS News Royal contributor Julian Payne said the king has generally enjoyed “very solid health,” and Charles took a bold step in addressing his health problems, which may stem from a desire to encourage others to get checkups. and make doctor appointments.

Palace officials said Charles was receiving “regular treatments” but did not specify what type of treatment the monarch was receiving.

Prince Harry – who has had a fractured relationship with the royal family for years – flew from Los Angeles to London after his father’s diagnosis was announced. She has since returned to California.

Her brother, William, the Prince of Wales, has also been supporting his wife, the Princess of Wales, as she recovers from abdominal surgery. Returned to the public royal duties Wednesday and attended an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle. She then headed to a gala dinner for London’s Air Ambulance Charity, which was also attended by actor Tom Cruise.

“It’s fair to say the last few weeks have been rather medical in focus, so I thought I’d come to an air ambulance function to get away from it all,” the prince joked at the gala.

Prince William is next in line for the throne.

—Haley Ott contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment