Britain’s King Charles made his first statement after being diagnosed with cancer, expressing his gratitude to his supporters. “I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received in recent days,” King Charles said in a statement.
On Monday, Buckingham Palace announced that King Charles, 75, had been diagnosed with a form of cancer, less than 18 months into his reign, and added that he would postpone some engagements to undergo treatment.
“As all those who have been affected by cancer will know, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement,” King Charles said.
The king added that it was heartening to hear how his diagnosis had helped shed light on organizations supporting cancer patients in Britain and beyond. News of the king’s cancer came after Charles spent three nights in hospital in January, where he underwent a corrective procedure for a benign enlarged prostate.
King Charles highlighted his gratitude to medical professionals and cancer charities, saying: “My lifelong admiration for their tireless care and dedication is even greater as a result of my own personal experience.”
Buckingham Palace has not provided any details about his condition, other than to say it was not prostate cancer, but said King Charles remained “totally positive” and hoped to return to public service as soon as possible.
King Charles’ wife, Queen Camilla, said on Thursday that he was doing “extremely well.”
With the king undergoing treatment and Prince William’s wife Kate recovering from abdominal surgery, the responsibility of providing the public face of the monarchy falls to the remaining royals, especially William and Camilla.
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has said the disease was “caught early.”
King Charles’ diagnosis comes just 17 months into his reign, following the death of his 96-year-old mother, Queen Elizabeth II, on September 8, 2022. The king has generally enjoyed good health, barring injuries caused by polo and skiing.
Prince Harry, King Charles’ youngest son, flew back to Britain to see him on Tuesday, adding to this week’s drama.
The couple had a 45-minute meeting at Charles’ Clarence House residence in London before Harry flew back to his home in the United States.