Palace officials are said to have been left furious after a Spanish news program claimed Kate was in a “coma” and in “great danger” following abdominal surgery.
Foreign journalist Concha Calleja stated in a broadcast the day before her release from the hospital that doctors had to act quickly because they were “saving her life.”
The writer, 59, who has appeared on Spanish television as a royal expert, said the medical team’s “drastic” actions included intubating the Princess of Wales, 42, and putting her in an induced coma.
She stated: “There were serious complications that were not expected because the operation went well, but the post-operative period did not go so well.”
He went on to say that Kate’s recovery was “possibly going to require a bit of help, and I’m not just talking about her family”, as he said that “pretty much an entire hospital” was being set up to support her at their Windsor home.
But the Spaniard’s claims, made on the Fiesta news channel, have been denied by the palace.
“It’s total nonsense,” a source told The Telegraph. “That journalist made no attempt to verify anything he said with anyone in the house.
“It’s basically a fabrication, and I’ll use polite English here: that’s not the case at all.”
Fiesta, the most watched channel in Spain for 13 years, is known for its gossip shows and was founded by an Italian media company formerly owned by Silvio Berlusconi.
The claims about the Princess of Wales quickly went viral and were even picked up by the country’s most serious sites, including El Confidencial, La Vanguardia and La Razón.
Calleja claimed to have obtained the information through an assistant of the royal household “in a totally confidential manner”, something that the Palace has flatly denied.
They also strongly denied his claims that Kate had first been taken to hospital on December 28, where she stayed for several days, as she said she “started to feel unwell, not for the first time.”
Kate Middleton returned home earlier this week after a two-week stay in hospital following abdominal surgery, with flowers and a gift bag left by well-wishers and brought to Windsor by a royal aide.
She went to the London Clinic 14 days earlier, on Tuesday, January 16, and royal sources said she was “making good progress” and would now continue her recovery from home.
MailOnline understands that his return to official duties will depend on upcoming medical advice, and William will return to his public engagements once he has settled in.
The Princess of Wales was discharged from hospital just hours before King Charles also left the London Clinic after a three-day stay to recover from prostate surgery. The smiling man was photographed leaving the clinic with Queen Camilla by his side.
Charles visited Kate last Friday morning before her operation and was also visited by his wife, Queen Camilla, four times at Marylebone hospital.
Kate, who Kensington Palace says is “doing well”, left the London Clinic in Marylebone yesterday morning after being admitted for surgery on January 16.
The Mail revealed on Monday that Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis were not taken to visit their mother in hospital after she recovered from ‘abdominal surgery’.
As her children would have been at school when she returned, it is likely that they would only have seen her for the first time when they returned to Adelaide Cottage later that afternoon from Lambrook School, a ten-minute drive away.
It will almost certainly be the longest period the princess has ever been away from them.
Both William and Kate have prioritized their children above all else, arranging commitments so that at least one can attend school whenever possible.
They have also ensured that overseas tours are shorter to allow them to be home on weekends, the only exception being their 2022 trip to the Caribbean.
It is understood that Prince William, who had cleaned up his diary to be at his wife’s side at all times, was in hospital when she was discharged and is likely to have taken her home.
In a statement, a Kensington Palace spokesperson said: “The Princess of Wales has returned home to Windsor to continue her recovery from surgery. She is making good progress.
‘The Prince and Princess would like to say a huge thank you to all the team at The London Clinic, especially the dedicated nursing staff, for the care provided.
“The Welsh family remains grateful for the well wishes they have received.”
Charles left the London Clinic in Marylebone today with Queen Camilla by his side after three nights under observation.
The 75-year-old monarch was admitted last Friday morning around 9 a.m. while undergoing a corrective procedure for his benign condition.
The road had been cleared, but a large crowd of children and onlookers had gathered to watch them get into a waiting car.
There was a strong presence of uniformed police who stood guard as the royal couple were ejected.
It has been reported that Charles could take up to a month off from public duties while he recovers.
The King was visited twice yesterday by Queen Camilla, the third and fourth time she has been to see him at the private hospital since they arrived.